World

UK concerned about second wave in Europe: health minister

London, July 30 (Reuters) — Britain’s Health Minister Matt Hancock said on Thursday he was concerned about a second wave of coronavirus infections in Europe and that the government would not hesitate to act to bring back quarantine measures if necessary to keep Britain safe, Reuters reported. Last week, the UK reintroduced a 14-day quarantine period for people arriving from Spain. In some other European countries that are currently exempt from British quarantine measures, infections have increased, Hancock said, without naming them. “I’m worried about a second wave. I think you see a second wave rolling over Europe and we have to do everything we can to prevent it from reaching these shores and tackling them,” Hancock said in an interview on Sky News.

EMIRATI TODAY - Emirati News, the UAE Daily News

“We have serious concerns about the second wave arriving across Europe. And it’s not just Spain … but there are other countries where the number of cases is increasing. And we are determined to do everything in our power to keep this country safe,” he said. Hancock said authorities were working to shorten the quarantine period for people from Spain, but there was no change. “We are working on whether it is safe to release them earlier when we test people during this quarantine … But we don’t make an announcement immediately,” he said in a BBC television interview. “This work is not complete. Until it is absolutely certain to make this kind of change, we will not do so … We’re not going to make any changes to that in the next few days,” Hancock said.